Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Fear itself

The news we’ve been hearing lately has been frightening. On a recent Friday morning, I heard that the unemployment statistics were predicted to show that over 360,000 jobs had been lost in November. That number was huge, but paled in comparison to the actual, staggering figure of 533,000. Over half a million jobs lost in a single month is difficult to comprehend. Is this the worst it’s ever been? No. Will it get worse from here? Probably.

Will it ever get better? Definitely.

Remember President Roosevelt’s admonition that “we have nothing to fear but fear itself”? Those are words to live by, which is small comfort if your job is one that has been lost lately. I wish I could tell you when it’s going to get better, but I can’t. I can only tell it will get better, and the important thing now is to take care of yourself, while keeping an eye on the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment